In Memory

Robert Weaver

Robert Weaver

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

05/19/10 10:17 PM #1    

Danyel (Dan) Clark

Robert L. "Bob" Weaver    Robert (Bob) L. Weaver 62, of Phoenix, AZ passed away September 30, 2004. He is survived by his wife of 37 years, Maureen and his 4 children Rob and his wife Debbie, Mike and his wife Georgia, Cyndie and her husband Artie, Christine and her fiance Pete, and his grandchildren Shad, Devin, Mackenzie, Isaiah, and Rosellen. His mother Bessie and his brothers David and his wife Kenna, and Raymond, his sister Gerri and her husband Don and many nieces and nephews. He was born in Kentucky and moved to Arizona in 1956 and served in the Navy for four years. Retiring from Motorola in 1996 after 30 years. He was happiest when he was spending time with his family, golfing and tinkering with electronics. Graveside services to be held October 5th, at St. Francis Cemetery, 2033 N. 48th Street, Phoenix at 9:00 a.m. He will be deeply missed and loved by all.
Published in The Arizona Republic on 10/5/2004.

10/13/11 10:45 AM #2    

Ralph Bell

 I probably knew Robert Lee Weaver (aka Bob, Butch) better than most. We met sometime while attending 10th Street School after his family moved here from Ohio… He called his mom “Bessie,” his Dad “Tom” along with his brothers David and Raymond and sister Gerri. They settled in a new subdivision off of Hardy Drive and Broadway Road. His cousins Obie Weaver and Shirley Lay moved here also.

Henry Kohlenberg’s parents took us to Nogales Mexico a few times to bring back bottles of liquor… one bottle for each US citizen per day. We would stay in a motel overnight and then buy more bottles in the morning. I remember us bravely wandering around the dirt streets of Nogales looking for the infamous “Canal Street” – teenagers trying to see what we could see.

Since Bob was a year older than most of us, he got his driver license and bought a 1949 Studebaker… with a bullet nose.  He took many of us on trips around the Valley, often to the Pioneer Drive-In movies… After months of having problems with his first car, he traded it in for another Studebaker, this time a black 1953 model… very sleek and low to the ground.  Bob carried a can of black spray paint to “touch up his car” and cover scratches and rust. Bob said he chauffeured Penny Palmer , Shelby Moore and others to the Pioneer Drive-In if they paid the “dollar-a-car” and also for his gas.
While attending Tempe High School, Bob worked after school, weekends and summers at AMPCO in Mesa off Extension Road helping to build house trailers. His dad, cousin Obie and Shirley’s dad worked there also and eventually helped me get hired. Summers were hot and it was hard work attaching aluminum to the sides and roofs and stapling cello-tex insulation on the bottoms of those 12 ft wide trailers.
In school Bob was always very good in math classes and he claimed to never study, which I believed. He often competed with classmate Judy Stedman and outscored us on exams. Both Ms Row and Ms Craig added their encouragement to Bob and his math skills. 
After High School, Bob joined the Navy. I wanted to join too, but attending ASU and ROTC offered a better prospect. I visited Bob on Treasure Island when he was attending the Navy’s Electronics School. One day we drove to Stanford University and totally surprised Judy Stedman in her dorm room. Later Bob served off shore in Vietnam aboard an Aircraft Carrier, the USS Oriskany. When he returned to civilian life he was hired at Motorola and excelled as an electronics technician until he retired in Phoenix after 30 years. He also married Maureen and they raised 2 boys and 2 girls - Bobby, Mike, Christy and Cynthia.
I contacted Bob again when I was travelling for Lockheed Aero Company back and forth to Scottsdale and the Hayden Rd former Motorola Plant, now General Dynamics communications. Bob was babysitting his grandkids Isaiah and Kenzie. He greatly enjoyed his retired life and a little stock trading on his home computer. He was an avid golfer and played often with his son-in-law Artie Hogan. We played golf in tennis shoes, jeans and tee-shirts… casual but serious golfers nonetheless. Bob stopped driving due to a problem with balance, but Artie and I were happy to drive. 
I talked Bob into attending our 40th TUHS reunion and we all had a great time. We reminisced with Judy Steadman, Tom Krill, Dan Clark among others…  And when Judy died, Bob and I flew to California to participate in the Petaluma Poetry Walk held in Judy’s honor. Listening to the poetry being read was quite a different experience. We ate dinner at Yoshi’s in Oakland, one of Judy’s favorite restaurants and drove through Treasure Island as visitors. 
Bob began having respiratory problems and quit smoking. Unfortunately it was too little and too late. He underwent surgery to remove part of his left lung, and fought valiantly for nearly a year but cancer finally won the battle. I attended his memorial service and read a short tribute. I could see his grandchildren were his pride and joy… they loved their grandpa dearly.  
I kept remembering his Studebakers…  

go to top 
  Post Comment