In Memory

Eddie Royse

Eddie Royse

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

05/19/10 10:11 PM #1    

Danyel (Dan) Clark

Edward Earl Royse

Edward Earl Royse, United States Army Artillery retired, died at age 66, in the Heroes Section of the Veterans Hospital in Prescott, Arizona, Saturday evening, January 30, 2010, with his beloved wife Sharon at his side.Ed was born during World War II in 1943 at Tempe, Arizona, where his father Edward N. Royse, worked at a defense plant. His mother was Helen Louise Wilson Royse from the Frederick, Oklahoma area, where her family were wheat farmers.Ed's formative years were spent in Elk City, Oklahoma, which had been settled by his paternal great grandparents, John Henry and Sarah Elizabeth Royse, his grandparents Lloyd and Barbara Royse, and several other great uncles and aunts, before it became a city.The family returned to Tempe, Arizona in 1956. Ed graduated from Tempe Union High School in 1961, where he made many lifelong friends, including Alfred E. Newman of "What, Me Worry?" fame. He was a graduate of the University of Arizona, where he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.Army tours took him to Korea in the winter, twice to Vietnam, the Pentagon, Fort Bliss Texas in the hot summer, and Fort Sill Oklahoma in the cold of winter and the heat of summer. He served the Arizona National Guard in Phoenix for about eight years.He was a huge fan of the Indianapolis 500 and loved to take family and friends with him. To go with Ed was an unforgettable experience. Ed studied history and earned his master's degree as a museum curator at Texas Tech University. His business card described him as an "inveterate collector of eclectic and seemingly priceless objects," so this degree surprised no one.Ed could intelligently discuss almost any subject. Those close to him knew he could also cuss at particular topics such as politics, human nature and individual foibles. He had a dry wit and often asserted about himself that comedian Rodney Dangerfield "gets no respect" less than I do.Ed is preceded in death by his stepson, Scott, his parents, and his brothers, Larry and Tim of Tempe, Arizona. He is survived by his wife Sharon of the home and stepson Alex of Texas. He is also survived by his brothers Robb, Doug and Brad, his sister Sue Royse Melaney of San Diego, California, their spouses and numerous nephews, nieces, cousins, beloved neighbors, and friends young and old. Ed loved us all.Ed donated his body to the University of Arizona Medical Center for cancer research. Ultimately his ashes will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery. An informal memorial will be held at a family gathering at a later date.Sign the Guest Book

Published in East Valley Tribune on February 7, 2010 Printprint

07/14/10 06:03 PM #2    

Dick Erickson

How could you forget Ed Royse..

Not only a class mate but a true friend.  He never passed judgement and accepted you as you were.

I will never forget his campaign at the high school.  One time we went to the Gym for speeches and I was lucky enough to be on his campaign crew.  We had a wagon with a toilet in it and a block of ice in the toilet.  Our slogan was


Maybe not the best but we loved it.

Ed always wanted to know how you were doing, always concerned about others.  He supported me in football and track and helped me with some classes. Ed was always ready to hop in the back of the car for a run around town and small enough to put in the trunk so he could get into the drive in free.

Ed Royce .. I will miss him 

Richard (Dick) Erickson

10/13/11 06:58 PM #3    

Ralph Bell

I was startled, as many of us were when we received an e-mail from Eddie stating he had Stage 4 cancer...

At the 40th Tempe HS Reunion, Eddie was fine but things change.  The Royse family lived in the Campus Homes about 3 blocks away from our house on 12th Street.  After HS I saw Eddie infrequently at ASU where he was in the Army ROTC. 

He had a great career and retired with honors in a grand ceremony from the Army at Ft Sill, Oklahoma.  I remember Eddie talking about his gun collection and I think he donated it to the Army in Oklahoma.  After retirement from the Army he moved to Prescott AZ where he served as a volunteer at the Ft Tuthill Territorial Museum.   Eddie married to an old neighbor of mine,  Sharon Kaiser.  When we were in grade school, we kids used to play with Sharon who lived a block away and I remember trading her comic books... she had hundreds. 

I called Sharon and flew to Prescott for one last visit with Eddie.  When I drove up from Phoenix, it began snowing... forecast to accumulate 5 inches.  I found their house but nobody was home.  Then Sharon unexpectedly drove up in the driveway and I followed her to the Veterans Hospital.  

It was very a very nice Army Hospital on base at  Fort Tuthill and the nurses were helpful and friendly.  They had allowed Sharon to stay in the room with Eddie.  I talked with Eddie and he was in good spirits... not complaining a bit.  He was still able to share a few jokes. His spirit was amazing.

It was an inspirational visit for me.  Eddie led the good life.  He did not have regrets. 

When I left, his wife Sharon showed incredible strength as I knew her heart was troubled.

I drove slowly back to Phoenix through the falling snow, increasingly heavy as I remembered my friend and reflected on my own life.

Eddie left us that next week. 

go to top 
  Post Comment